The Parish office address is : St. Peter's Parish Office, Penrallt Street, Machynlleth, Powys SY20 8AG
Please Note - Change of Services on July 27th
8am Holy Eucharist
9.30am Y Cymun Bendigaid
NO 11am SERVICE
2.30pm Ministry Area Licensing Service
9.30am Holy Eucharist
9.30am Y Cymun Bendigaid ym Machynlleth
Welcome to St Peter's Church, Machynlleth, part of the Church in Wales. Machynlleth is an ancient market town situated on the banks of the River Dyfi, at the centre of a rural, largely Welsh speaking community, eighteen miles to the north of Aberystwyth and sixteen miles to the south of Dolgellau. It is renowned as the site of the first Welsh Parliament when, in 1404, Owain Glyndwr proclaimed Machynlleth to be the capital of Wales. The site of the Parliament House today houses a small museum and centre dedicated to this very important time in the history of Machynlleth and Wales. Another focal point of the town today is the Castlereagh Memorial Clock (the "Town Clock") situated at the crossroads of the three main streets. It was built to commemorate the 21st birthday, in 1873, of the Viscount Castlereagh, first son of the Marques and Marchioness of Londonderry of Y Plas, Machynlleth. The house (The Plas) was gifted to the town by the Londonderry family in 1947 and now houses a new community hall, offices, shop and coffee shop. The Leisure centre, a children's play ground, the football and rugby fields are situated in the grounds of the Plas along with pleasant dog-friendly paths for strolling.
Machynlleth has a population of approximately 2,300 which greatly increases in the summer months. Tourism forms a very important part of the economy of the town where unemployment is higher than the county average especially in the young. There are many small but unique shops in the town which draw those looking for something a little different. The town boasts a small supermarket along with a family-run butcher and a baker's shop, a Post Office and Banks. There is good public transport serving the town with regular and frequent buses in all three directions and a rail service to Aberystwyth, along the Cambrian Coast to Pwllheli and to Birmingham. Both services provide a substantial number of jobs, the local shops, cafes and hotels provide further employment in the area and a significant number of people find employment in the Welsh Assembly offices at Aberystwyth.
Medical services are provided by two G.P. practices, one in Machynlleth and one in Cemmaes Road 6 miles outside the town. There is a small community hospital with rehabilitation services and outpatient clinic facilities.
The county Primary School and the Secondary School are both located in the town and both achieve high standards of education.
Machynlleth is a very active town with many and varied activities and clubs to suit the young and the older population alike. Machynlleth is a growing town with the influx of many young families and one-parent families as well as couples retiring to the area often from across the border in England. The Centre of Alternative Technology is situated approximately 5 miles outside Machynlleth which attracts a variety of people of different religions and no religion and many who work at the Centre have made their homes in Machynlleth.
St. Peter's - Machynlleth
St Peter’s Church is situated in the centre of the town. A mediaeval Church on the site is mentioned in records of 1253 and 1291, there is evidence, especially from the air, of a circular boundary which is typical of medieval churches. The medieval church was a cruciform building which was lost during the considerable rebuilding in 1827.
The belfry was built onto the church in 1745...
St. Ust & Dyfrig - Llanwrin
The village of Llanwrin lies on the north side of the river Dyfi approximately 5 miles from Machynlleth; the Parish has been grouped with Machynlleth since 1955. The Church dates from the 15th century and stands in the centre of the, predominately Welsh speaking, village.
St. Cadfarch - Penegoes
The village of Penegoes is situated approximately two miles east of Machynlleth on the A489. The church itself is a nineteenth century structure though it is almost certainly founded in the early medieval era. It is a Victorian, listed building and was completely rebuilt in 1877. Of special interest are the commemorative plaques, inside the church and on the perimeter wall, to the famous artist, Richard Wilson.